One of the trickiest things in implementing new classes is figuring out what state course number it maps to, especially since in Virginia Computer Science can sit in either the math or career and technical ed departments.
The following courses are the most common for housing the ECS course. As the state department of education handles last year’s legislation allowing computer science to count as a science credit this list may expand.
Course Mappings to Virginia Course Codes:
ECS Course Mappings for VA CTE:
- IT Fundamentals: (# 6670)http://www.cteresource.org/verso/courses/6670/information-technology-it-fundamentals-tasklist
- Programming: (#6640/6641)http://www.cteresource.org/verso/courses/6640/programming-tasklist
ECS Course Mappings Math:
- Computer Math: (# 3184) (scroll down to Computer Math ) http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/standards_docs/mathematics/
- Note: Computer Mathematics may be used in conjunction with Algebra I and Geometry to satisfy mathematics graduation requirements if the student also completes a career and technical concentration.
- Virginia Approved Math Courses for Graduation: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/graduation/approved_courses.pdf